Central Park Autumn


Central Park Painting 2011, originally uploaded by lionheart613.

I painted this en plein air, in about one and a half hours. This was at the small sail boat lake on 72nd street in Central Park. I used an earth tone palette, with viridian and green earth, naples yellow, cadmium orange, red and yellow, burnt umber, raw sienna, and ultramarine blue. I worked fast, using large brushes and much paint thinner to quickly cover the canvas. I tried to underpaint with sienna and warm hues, and added the blues and darker colors in the lake and distance to achieve depth. On top, i added pure intense and vibrant cadmiums, capturing the last rays of sun. In the distance, you can see the bridge, with hints of bright yellow leaves showing through. Traces of the upper east side are seen, in the buildings to the side. I like that I kept to the color schema. In painting , broad swaths of color are best. Detail subtracts, does not always add to a paining. keep it loose and free.